Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Is it a BARD I BE...


Be I a BARD of modern day calling... to convey the glory of Being ~ to live the majesty of Aspiration ~ to know the wondrous in Revelation ~ in all moments present Divine...
In Gratitude

I, Rose Marie Raccioppi, am the first ever to be designated as Poet Laureate for the Town of Orangetown, New York. The designation came from the many presentations I have given over the years as an activist, using originally written poems, by way of introduction or closing, as pleas for attention or support of children's special needs and the environment. Other poems were written and presented in honor of those whose lives were lost serving in the military.

Poems I wrote in response to 9/11 were also presented at both public and private memorial services. These were exhibited at Orangetown Town Hall and at the Legislative Chambers of Rockland County. The poem, "Where Does The Pain Go," in response to 9/11, was made into a musical and dance performance. A reproduction of the original painting upon which the poem was superimposed was presented as a fund raiser. http://www.apogeepoet.blogspot.com/2009/05/where-does-pain-go.html APOGEE Poet: "Where Does The Pain Go - 9/11 ." Another one of my poems, "The Aftermath," engraved in glass superimposed upon my painting, is on permanent display as part of "The Wall of Heroes," at the Rockland County Legislative Chambers, New York.

Since my first community presentation in 1975, as an activist for children with learning disabilities, poetry has been my shared voice of soul. When diagnosed with cancer in 1983, writing poetry became the deepest source of solace and healing. This the journey to, "The Wind and the Willow," published in 2008.

A poetry blog was initiated in January of 2009 and has to date, a posting of 1298 of my original poems, http://www.thepoetspen.com/

It is with a deep respect and reverence for the art of poetry that I am so honored.

Rose Marie Raccioppi
Poet Laureate
Orangetown, New York


No comments: